It’s Gas Safety Week. Stay safe with these tips

Gas Safety Week, which runs from 18-24 September 2017, raises awareness of gas safety issues and emphasises the importance of having an annual gas safety check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. There have been 21 deaths and over 800 gas-related injuries in the last three years, according to the HSE.

For more information on Gas Safety Week visit


  • Recent research from the Gas Safe Register has revealed that almost 5 million people across the UK are putting themselves at risk from carbon monoxide poisoning, gas leaks, fires and explosions by employing illegal gas engineers who are not properly qualified.
  • It has been shown that 65% of gas jobs carried out by illegal fitters are unsafe and one in five gas appliances they work on are so dangerous that they have to be disconnected immediately.
  • One in five people who employ a tradesperson to work on a gas appliance do not check their ID card or qualifications.


  1. Have all your gas appliances serviced and safety checked every year. If you rent your home ask for a copy of the landlord’s current Gas Safety Record.
  2. Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Around 1.1 million gas jobs are carried out every year by illegal gas fitters. Research shows that 16% of people would trust an engineer if they said they were registered, rather than checking their ID card.
  3. Check your engineer is Gas Safe registered. By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register to work safely and legally on gas appliances. Click here to find a business or check an engineer.
  4. Fit a Gas Tag to your property
  5. Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
  6. Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm.
  7. If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24 hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.

Read More